26 May 2010

My New Workshop is Here

This morning I finally took delivery of my new workshop, so I can begin building Sonex #1416.  It's a 12'x24' aluminum utility building, wired for electricity.  I had the builder put in a full length (12') workbench and pegboard along the back wall, which he graciously did for just his cost of materials.  Here's what the inside looks like:


It looks big, but only because it's empty.  Once I have work benches, built parts, and an 18' fuselage in it things will get cramped real fast, I'm sure.  I have a 10,000 BTU portable air conditioner that will keep things tolerable (I hope) in the Georgia summer heat, and I can open the windows/doors in the evenings or when things are only moderately warm outside.

Overall I think the new digs are just what the doctor ordered for building a Sonex, given the very limited building space in my home.  The building inspector still has to sign off on it, but I'm not expecting any trouble there.  Then I can move my stuff in and start getting it set up to make airplane parts.  I'm planning to start building in earnest sometime around the second weekend in June.  

No comments:

Post a Comment